Categories
cats dye in progress machine embroidery

Hugo gets some attention..

Before we even got Linus, I did some direct-application dyeing on canvas and began machine embroidering a portrait of Hugo. It’s nowhere near finished, but here are some in-progress photos.
As it is currently:


Closeup of the thread on his face; the dyed fabric without any stitching.

I like this because it is like the Royal Rainbow from Katamari Damacy, which is my favorite video game!

Categories
cats i made it machine embroidery toys

It’s hard to tell he’s a goofball

A machine embroidered canvas stuffie of Linus, star of Linus in Hats

Categories
i made it machine embroidery quilts

Laser gun

I was watching Star Trek TNG on Monday night, and I decided to sew a little laser gun.

lasers go BEW BEW BEW!!!

Categories
dye i made it machine embroidery quilts

Lamb skulls, updated

I didn’t think I was going to go in this direction with the lamb skulls, but I ended up squishing them onto a quilt.

The background fabric is green stuff from my last post. Binding didn’t seem appropriate to finish the edges (and I am lazy), so I used two layers of overcast stitching instead. Finished size is 15×19.5″. Cotton duck and muslin, cotton/poly thread, fabric marker, and graphite, poly batting.
There are a number of errors, certainly (I wasn’t really going for perfect!) – but I still like it. I am sending it to someone (I think), and I hope he likes it too.

I was a bit too excited about finishing it to wait for it to dry completely after steaming it. You’ll notice some dampness in the pictures 🙂

I kind of love making giant-applique-image-in-the-center-of-a-quilt things.

Categories
i made it machine embroidery

The King of Carrot Flowers, Parts Two and Three

In progress.. Should have been done a month ago, but I only managed to eke out some drawings then. I was busy making Jears!

“..the dogs dissolve and drain away”

Same linen as Part One. Using grey thread here, with black in the bobbin. I’m going to use a slightly darker grey thread on top for definition in a few spots. Also, I’m planning to use other colors in the bobbin to see what it does to the thread tails on the right.

Categories
i made it machine embroidery

Conjoined lamb skulls

Machine embroidery on cotton duck.

The back looks particularly evil, with the thread tails:

Since these pictures were taken, I added a little more black around the outside parts. It still needs to be blocked, but I think I’m done for now, until I figure out how to mount it.

Categories
i made it machine embroidery

The King of Carrot Flowers, Part 1

This year, I decided to use the Neutral Milk Hotel record In the Aeroplane Over the Sea as a starting point for some work. I was thinking about the Journal Quilt Project and how I’d like to try something similar. My start has been a little.. unsure, I guess.

There are eleven songs on the album, and I will focus on one song per month as my image/narrative resource. I’m not trying to totally decode the songwriter’s [Jeff Mangum is his name] original intentions, or even really follow what I know he meant (via interviews and other research). This record means a lot of different things and takes me to a lot of different places mentally. It is crooked landscapes, half-smiles, stale bread, worry, ache, beautiful magic.. I have a huge mental list of things I associate here. It is impossible to explain. I put it on in my car and I can’t take the CD out for the next three weeks. If I make it to my destination while the last song is on, I have to wait until it is over before I can get out.

Anyway. For everything it means to me, like I said, not a great start.
I only managed to eke out a handful of drawings, and most were very cartoony/prototypical. So. engh. (Some are here.)

One I did like was this:

So I redid it with my machine on some linen I dyed grey.

Details:

It’s very similar in style to my Pop Shirt project (which remains woefully unfinished and in limbo, and Evan is going to hit me) – it’s the same fabric (dyed different colors), black embroidery (this is machine, pop shirt was by hand).. It makes me want to revisit that plan and just take a big piece of fabric and cover it with drawings. I loooooove doing this type of thing..

Things learned:
-Feet are hard to stitch.
-Figure out a better way to stabilize.
-Spend less time thinking and more time just DOING.

I don’t really know what to do with it now. January’s over, and I am going to follow my rules and move on. If I do something I really like for the next month and finish early, maybe I’ll revisit. Maybe it’ll wait til December. Just a little drawing..