WELL, it’s kind of finished. I’m going to dye it.
Pattern: BurdaStyle Batiste Jacket
Fabric: interlock knit from the Doodles collection at Jo-Ann, but wrong side out.
After I finished a couple of my Alabama Chanin garments, I was thinking about knit jackets.. I am always on the lookout for a moto-style jacket made out of knits. Not sure why. I just love them. And have never bought one. Burda has a great-looking moto jacket pattern (Larissa), but I felt like I didn’t have nearly enough experience with sewing garments in general, much less trying to translate a pattern for wovens for use with knits and hand sewing! The batiste pattern looked so much simpler, so I thought it would be a better place to start.
Once I printed and cut the pattern, I planned on making one the right way so I could get the feel first before trying to change it. And then I did not do that at all and just cut it out of the knit. The interlock prints are from a children’s line at Jo-Ann, so I decided to sew it wrong side out and dye it later. Whatever.
I don’t remember when exactly I started this, but I estimate it was about a year and a half ago. I cut the parts and started putting them together, then realized it was probably unwearable or too odd in such fabric, so I left it in its own project box and moved on.
As I was sewing, the directions were a little vague in one part, and I’m pretty sure I sewed the band on backwards. Somehow. I sewed it on one way and thought “this looks totally wrong!” so I took it off and sewed it the other way. It still looked wrong. But by then I decided I didn’t care enough about its wrongness to try again. May it stay that way forever.