I don’t have much in the way of cotton jersey around, except for the bag of scraps I bought and some tshirts I haven’t cut up yet. I scoured Jo-Ann, and the only 100% cotton knit in the whole store is from the Doodles line aimed at young girls. The prints are small and busy and mostly hideous. I found this weird Pepto-bismol pink button flower print in the clearance bin, and bought all that remained with my magic 40% off coupon. I cut it into a couple chunks and dyed it to try to make it slightly less.. whatever it was. One piece went in raspberry, one in pewter. I’m not sure I was successful in toning it down, but I’m working with it anyway. (Since then I realized the fabric is a double knit and so the wrong side could easily be used as the right side, keeping the print mostly hidden. Gah!)
This time we’ll use the scallop stencil. Paint dabbed on with sponge brushes, and not covering the whole interior of the scallop.
The top part of the dress is two layers, but not the bottom, because there wasn’t enough of the pink to make it that long. I stitched around the scallops with embroidery floss in a range of purple shades, #95-102 from Anchor.
Beginning embroidery at the top
The wrong sides, about halfway done
Embroidery stitching completed, interior sections of scallops cut away at the top