Most of the embroidery work I've done in the last ten? years has been pretty small. My first pieces were all little sketches, cut out with ribbons attached for hanging. Over the past few years I started doing more elaborate compositions and adding color with paint. And now I'm scaling up, and trying to remember to make them the right sizes for frames. Do I always do the cats? No. Do I usually do the cats? Yes.
Forbidden Yogurt, 8x10" (sold)
Cat Memorial, 8x12" (sold)
Commissioned by the person who bought Forbidden Yogurt to memorialize her own cats, based on one of my previous pieces.
These three pieces were part of my #drawlloween contribution. I didn't finish the challenge because of some other obligations. Most of the embroideries I did were 5x7" (they'll be in an upcoming post).
Radioactive Kaiju Linus, 8x12" (sold)
Gnome Linus, 9x12"
Eek! Linus, 12x12"
Portrait of Alice, 8x10" (gift)
I made this one as a birthday present for my grandmother. (I just want to say that my source photo was from our annual Christmas trip to Storybook Land in Cardiff, NJ. Alice was watching Santa Claus as he waved his magic wand to turn on the lights in the park at dusk. I loved how intent she was.)
Alabama Chanin fitted top from Alison Glass handcrafted jersey
Modified Alabama Chanin fit-and-flare tank from Alison Glass handcrafted jersey
Lemon Drop Tunic for Alice, from Dharma Trading jersey I dyed myself
Two Lemon Drop Tunics for me! First from Alison Glass handcrafted jersey, second from Heather Ross Briar Rose jersey.
Another Lemon Drop Tunic, more Alison Glass handcrafted jersey
Alabama Chanin A-line dress in two sided metallic knit from Jo-Ann
Modified Alabama Chanin fit-and-flare dress from Alison Glass handcrafted jersey (I ended up wearing this to three weddings and a special birthday party!)
At the November CJMQG retreat, I made two short dresses from the Alison Glass Knit Essentials pattern, and one Blueprints for Sewing Saltbox Tee. The knit essentials is in some lightweight organic cotton jersey from fabric.com and a cotton spandex jersey from the Jo-Ann clearance section. The saltbox is in double gauzes from Sommer by Sarah Jane and Hit Parade by Lizzy House.
Better look at the Saltbox.
Ten for me, one for kid. Not too shabby!
"Apparently I missed an entire year of posting." - An old blogger saying.
I made a few things in 2016, I promise.
The CJMQG held a Secret Quilter swap. Participants signed up and filled out a questionnaire. My recipient seemed to really love her dog, so I yoinked one of her pictures of him from her Pinterest page. I made a little digital painting of him with Photoshop and turned it into a print on Spoonflower.
When I was making snowflake ornaments, I thought a bit about the spiderweb ornament tradition. We have two small ones, and I thought Alice might like a bigger one because she likes Shelob from Lord of the Rings.
Alice likes a lot of the bad guys in Lord of the Rings, for whatever reason, and I had joked to her that we could have an Eye of Sauron tree topper. And then I made one out of paper as a surprise when she was out with Bill.
And not LotR related: Alice was upset that the cats' stocking didn't have their names on it when the other three stockings for her, me, and Bill had our names on them. So I made a new stocking for the cats. (Then she got mad that I put their faces on it, not just their names, because she's three.)
It's so good that I enjoy all this hand sewing. These pushed my garment count for the year up to nineteen.
It seemed like a good idea at the time! Fast and easy.
The November meeting of the Central Jersey Modern Quilt Guild featured a holiday or seasonal potholder swap. I thought, "I ain't make a potholder." And then I inherited some fabric from a family friend, and I was like, "This is perfect for a fall-themed potholder," and then I found a tutorial on Craftsy, and suddenly I had two potholders.
After I posted them on the internet, two other people loved them so much that I made two more pairs and sent them off before Thanksgiving.
So "I won't make a potholder" turned into making six potholders. Whoops.
There was a customized garment posted on the AC Journal, an A-Line dress with sleeves added ("just trace the armhole"). But I'm lazy, and the tshirt is cut on the fold instead of having a seam down the front, so I started with that pattern and used the A-Line tunic as a guide to add length and width.
Fabric is the ghost print from Lizzy House Hit Parade Knits by Andover.
This was my sixteenth garment in 2015, and the last one I made for myself before the holiday makefest.
This was a bathrobe I found on the clearance rack in Marshalls. It was a marled white color, and the belt was missing. But it looked like it could be a perfect length cardigan with pockets, so I had to get it. I removed the belt loops and dyed it, and now I wear it like it's not a bathrobe.
There are a few kinds of clothes I can't get enough of. One is semi-structured jackets made from knit fabrics. This one was on the clearance rack at Anthropologie over the summer. It was originally white with wide horizontal pale blue stripes. I dyed it once then in a forest green dye, but it wasn't really the green I wanted. I dyed it again in a very strong grass green bath and got it closer to what I was looking for.